Monday, March 18, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. A new topic is posted each week, and bloggers share their top ten in the category.

Top Ten Books I Just HAD to Buy...but are still sitting on my shelf unread

Only a top five this week, which I consider quite an accomplishment - then again, there are far more books than that sitting unread on my shelf, but most of them have been gifts, not something I've been overwhelmed with the desire to buy. 

5. Trickster's Choice & Trickster's Queen
Tamora Pierce

It was Tamora Pierce. There was absolutely no good excuse for passing up two books by Tamora Pierce. And there's even less of an excuse for having not read them yet. I've owned them for over a year now, and just been so distracted by other books (not all of which have been as good as I know these will be) that I haven't gotten around to them yet. 

4. Grimm's Fairy Tales

It was on sale at Barnes & Noble for some really ridiculous price - around five dollars if my memory is correct. And sure, while most of the stories I'm probably familiar with already, I've never read the original versions of all of them - which completely defeats the purpose of owning this book. 

3. Here There Be Dragons
James A. Owen

Like Tamora Pierce's Trickster books, this was a story that looked incredibly promising, a book I've owned for over a year. And again, I have no valid excuse. 

2. Night and Day
Virginia Woolf

College bookstores are wonderful places, filled with every piece of classic or well-known literature you could imagine (although sometimes overpriced.) It was in just such a place that I picked up this book, choosing it at random because a friend assured me that "anything by Viriginia Woolf would be fantastic." Then I started reading the introduction, which did nothing but talk about how this was one of the worst novels Woolf had written. I've been putting off reading it ever since, even though I can't imagine that it's anything other than wonderful. 

1. Pathfinder
Orson Scott Card

In 2011, I was willing to risk overweight luggage in order to buy this book in a Key West bookstore and bring it home. I ended up buying it later, but this book was one I was absolutely dying to get my hands on - and I still haven't read it. That's a big problem. 

Feeling completely guilted into reading these books at the first available opportunity,
~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment