Friday, November 5, 2010

The place where my novel takes an unexpected turn..

Five days and 7,000 words (I'm a bit behind) into NaNoWriMo, and it's happening. Something unexpected happens, and suddenly the entire direction of my novel is completely changed.

Until now, everything was going well. I wrote 2,000 words at a write-in last night, my novel is finally sorting itself out, and I had managed to write a scene that I'd been putting off for two days. But then, I decided to take a look at the "Adopt a villain catchphrase!" thread on the NaNo website, and I stumbled upon this line:

"You wish I were like a villain from one of those books you love so much. Willing to leave you in a death trap, as I go about my evil plan. No. You will remain, tied to this chair, while I destroy everyone and everything you've ever loved, before your eyes. Then, I will kill you. Slowly."

The ramifications of reading this line were numerous. I raced to the document that stores all the lines I have adopted to use in my novels, and copy and pasted this piece of genius. My villain, who was meant to be more of an annoyance, has taken a sinister turn. The comedy elements have run away from my novel as fast as they possibly could. My supporting character Eleanor is going to end up tied to a chair. My heroes are furious that my villain now poses an actual threat. They are planning to revolt. My writing no longer has anything that might possibly be considered a contraction.

Well, that's a ramification of NaNo, not that line.

Anyway. So, now, my novel is charging off in an entirely unexpected direction, and I have to run like mad to catch up. Wish me luck...I'm going to need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment