Wednesday, March 2, 2011

To Screnzy or not to Screnzy? That is the question....

So, it's the beginning of March. Can you believe we're this far into the year already? Because I can't. Where did the first two months of 2011 GO? (Oh, that's right. I got sick, had to scramble to catch up on school, then went to Florida, then to Youth Retreat, then got sick again. It doesn't seem like I've been that busy.)

Anyways, at the beginning of March, the fine folks at NaNoWriMo switch into Script Frenzy mode. (If you're not familiar with it, Script Frenzy is a scriptwriting challenge similar to National Novel Writing Month that takes place form April 1-30. www.scriptfrenzy.org.) Normally, I would too, but this year, I have a dilemma. I'm right in the middle of the second draft of a novel that I had planned to finish in June of last year. In order to have it finished in time - and by "in time", I mean, "before it officially crosses into the realm of INSANELY behind schedule", I'm going to have to write at least 2,000 words a day from now until April. That's going to be intense - possibly more intense than NaNoWriMo. After that, I plan to write another novel over the summer, from May to August. That's also going to require some serious discipline.

All of this may just drive me crazy. So I'm thinking about doing something drastic - or rather, not doing something drastic. I'm thinking of taking a year off from Script Frenzy.

Is it just me, or has a shocked silence filled the room?

I know, I'm a diehard Offices of Letters and Light Writing Challenge Participant, but frankly, it just makes sense this year. I don't really have the time. It's going to be a lot of really intense writing, which, with my other projects, will give me basically no breathing time from now until September. It would allow me a bit of extra time to finish up my novel and some breathing time between this novel and the next one. I have a few possible ideas for Screnzy but nothing with a really developed plot that really excites me. I'd rather be a novelist than a scriptwriter anyway.

It's actually a really convincing argument not to do Script Frenzy this year. However, there are two things holding me back from making the decision.

One is, since when has anything Offices of Letters and Light related been about making SENSE?

The other is the new merchandise at the OLL store. There's a new tee shirt, stickers, a coffee cup...and a tote bag.

I want that tote bag.

It feels wrong to buy it if I'm not going to participate. And I really, really want that tote bag. (As anyone who knows me well can tell you, tote bags are one of my weaknesses. I don't do purses - they're too small. So I have a variety of tote bags, messenger bags, and backpacks that I use to haul around my books and papers.)

So I'm still debating the question of "To screnzy or not to screnzy." Who knows? Last year I finished my script - and I mean, wrote "FADE OUT" - with three days to spare, and it was 131 pages. There were some days when I was able to write 20 pages or more. Maybe I'll be one of those awesome-crazy-writer people who reach 100 pages on day five. It starts on a Friday, which means we've got a weekend right away. That'll help.

...I think I've just convinced myself to participate. It's scary that I managed to write both sides of the argument in one post. Maybe I really should become a lawyer. Anyway. At this point, I'm rambling. I'll keep you updated about my final decision.

~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment