Friday, March 25, 2011

Writing, Screnzy, Busyness

I'll start off this post by saying that I have come to a realization that's kind of startling. Recently, I was thinking about writing, and I realized that sometime between NaNoWriMo and now, I stopped writing for ME. Writing became something I "should" do; finishing a project became something stressful that had to be completed by a deadline; and it just wasn't the same anymore. I was writing for my teachers and to try and get published, but I had lost the reason I'd originally started writing: because I love it.

It seems this happens to most people when they do something they love. I'm glad it happened to me now, and that I realized it so quickly.

This realization led to a decision: I'm still going to try and ROUGHLY stick to the writing "schedule" I had planned out for this year, but I'm not going to stress over it. I'm going to go back to writing for me, and no one else.

THIS further led to my final realization about Script Frenzy, just in time.

I'm not going to participate.

I realized (I have used that word WAY too many times now, but I've been doing a lot of it lately) that I felt obligated to do Script Frenzy; again, it was something I "should" do. A lot of my indecision was because it felt somehow WRONG to skip it, but here's the thing: I don't want to write a script right now. None of the ideas I have excite me and I'm working on a novel, and THAT's what I want to focus on.

Onto other topics; another thing that guided my decision about Script Frenzy is how busy I'm going to be for the next few weeks. One, my english/writing teacher assigned me two massive essays - not massive as in they have to be such-and-such-a-legnth, but massive as in they really need to be well-researched and well-written because there's a chance that they might get published in our local Historical Society's newsletter. (She sent in an essay I did back in November and it was recently published, which I'm really excited about - along with an interview my friend did with a local author and a short story a boy in the class below mine wrote.) So I really need to focus on those.

Two, Art in the Dark, which is at our library, is on April 1st. It's an all-night art marathon, from 8 PM on Friday to 8 AM on Saturday. It was a ton of fun last year, and I'm guessing it'll be awesome again this year.

Then, my friend is having a dress swap for her senior project (she's a sophomore, go figure - she wanted to get it out of the way) which will be on April ninth. Not only am I going to go down and search for my dress for the event in the next paragraph, but she also wants me to put together a playlist for some background music, AND talk to my grandpa (who owns a store) about letting her borrow some clothing racks.

Finally, my church is having their annual Christian Prom. (This is what I need the dress for - I hate spending money on dresses that I'll only wear once, so the swap came at the perfect time.) It's on April 16, and I'm extremely excited. I love dances. ;)

Oh wait. There's something else - I believe it's on the FIFTEENTH of April. Open Mic Night for our school's choir. My friend and I (yes, this is the same friend who's having the dress swap; no, it is not the one who wrote the interview in the english/writing class) are performing "Long Live" by Taylor Swift.

So with all the song practicing, playlist-making, and event-going-to, I'm going to be a bit too busy to write a script that I don't even really want to write in the first place.

Anyway. I'll keep anyone who reads this (I'm sure there's SOMEONE out there who finds this interesting, right?) updated on how all of these things go.

Off to try and figure out how all of this is going to fit in one month,
~blackandwhitedreamer


No comments:

Post a Comment