Friday, December 7, 2012

Season Finales Are Emotionally Stressful

"Why has this hat got two fronts?"
"It's a deerstalker."
"It's got flaps. It's got ear flaps. It's an ear-hat. What do you mean, we have to be more careful?"
"I mean, Sherlock, that that's not a deerstalker anymore. It's a Sherlock Holmes hat. You're not a private detective anymore. You're practically famous."

And this is why he is the most iconic literary figure of all time.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Just watched the Season 2 finale of Sherlock. To say that I was a bit emotional over it is not quite an adequate description.

Honestly, I think I would have been fine - well, not fine, but I wouldn't have actually cried - if they hadn't shown Mycroft at the end reading the article in the paper.

This was me when they showed the Diogenes Club:

"Mycroft Holmes, if you are not upset about this, you are the most unfeeling, uncaring, despicable human being-"

[Mycroft looks substantially upset.]

"No. Oh no. Nevermind. Don't look upset, don't, because you're just like Sherlock, you're unemotional and sociopathic and you're upset and that means you really cared and - great, now I'm going to cry."

So Mycroft was what got me. That whole episode, all that emotion, and Mycroft's reaction was what sent me over the edge.

Moving on.

This episode also happened to be full of incredible quotes...

"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king...and honey, you should see me in a crown." -Moriarty

"I may be on the side of angels, but do not think for a second that I am one of them." -Sherlock

"Well, no one could fake being such an annoying dick all the time." -John.

And, I honestly think the moments between Sherlock and Molly in this episode have made me stop shipping John/Sherlock. Which is good, because I never really wanted to ship them in the first place, but that ship just sailed itself.

Problem is, I think I now ship Mycroft and Moriarty. Just as a one-sided thing from Moriarty, but still.

I'm not even sure what you'd call that. Moriarcroft? Mycroftiarty? I mean, at least Johnlock rolled off the tongue. Although I've recent discovered that Sherlock/Molly is known as Sherlolly, so suddenly Mycroftiarty doesn't sound quite so ridiculous.

I'm sorry. Sherlock does this to my brain.

So...now that I've finished watched all episodes of Sherlock, I need another way to get my Sherlock Holmes fix. Recommendations as to which adaptation is the best? Still skeptical about Elementary, but the Jeremy Brett versions are looking promising.

Or I could just go back to watching Psych religiously. It's like Sherlock, but without the sociopathic consulting detective and the emotional damage.

Digressing. Ignore me. I'm in shock. Look, I've got a blanket.
I need to stop now.
~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment