Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Reading Room (3)

The Reading Room is, as the title implies, an update on my reading list and what books I'm currently absorbed in. This blog feature was inspired by the Ren's On Myshelf at the amazing blog All By Myshelf.

This week has been an AWESOME one for gathering books I've been wanting to read. I finished The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud over the weekend, and I absolutely loved it. I didn't realize how much I missed reading about the antics of the wise-cracking djinni Bartimaeus until I checked out this book from our school library. If you've never read this series before, you definitely should. The Amulet of Samarkand is the first book, and if you're anything like me, once you start reading, you won't be able to stop.

The same day I checked out The Ring of Solomon, I also checked out Across
the Universe by Beth Revis. When I saw it, I was immediately intrigued; there wasn't a lot of information on the back cover, but it was enough to make me curious and make me want to read more. I'm only a few chapters in so far, but I think I like it. It definitely has some very familiar paranormal and dystopian elements, but there's also some sci-fi to it. And although it doesn't quite match up to Pfeffer's Life As We Knew It in terms of how lifelike it is, I definitely feel like I'm right there with the characters. Most of the time, I describe popular Young Adult books as "hit and miss", and while Divergent was sort of a miss, I have a feeling this one's going to be a hit. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

My reading list only kept improving after that. I went down to the public library last night and realized that it had been far too long since the last time I was there. There were lots of new books I didn't recognize, all of which looked really good. I was just looking over the new book by the author of The Invention of Hugo Cabret when the librarian called me over, saying she had something for me to read. She walks out from behind the circulation desk with nothing other than...


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. As she described it, my face "lit up" when I saw it. I've been wanting to read this book for well over a month now. I started reading it as soon as I got home - never mind the fact that I was already reading another book. (As any member of my family could tell you, if I'm not reading at least two books at once, there's something wrong.) It's amazing. I can't put it down. I was reading it all throughout school today, and can barely stay away from it long enough to write this blog post. While I was down there, I also grabbed The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. It's the second book in The Heroes of Olympus series, and while I don't think the series is as good as Percy Jackson and the Olympians, it's still worth reading.

Then, just when I thought things couldn't get any better, I was informed by a friend that they had the new Christopher Paolini book at a semi-local bookstore. And after I informed my mom of this, she was kind enough to pick it up for me while I was in school. I'm more than excited, although I'm still debating whether I want to reread the other three books before starting this one. It's what I did with Brisingr and it was nice to refresh my memory, but that's also what they have the synopsis for. Either way, I'm very excited to start reading this book...and to continue reading all the others that have come my way recently. I know what I'm doing over Thanksgiving break...

Off to go back to The Night Circus,
~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment