Saturday, November 26, 2011

What I'm Writing

It's amazing how when you're truly absorbed in a what you're writing, you don't notice anything else. And when you stop, you realize things that you were able to ignore for the past hour or more; your arm itches. You're thirsty. You have to go to the bathroom. But none of that mattered until now, because you had to write.

That's how I felt last night. I started off just trying to increase my word count for NaNoWriMo, since I was about six thousand words behind at the beginning of the day. Then I started writing some scenes that took on a life of their own, and ended up writing over 3,000 words in one sitting, adding a few more after that and bringing by daily total to over 5,000.

It's one of the most amazing things, when you can get that involved. There's no feeling like it, when you're so wrapped up in the story that you don't even have to think about what you're typing. Combining a bit of advice in with this week's writing update, I would say that if you're working on something that you really love, you should have at least one moment like that, one time where the writing comes as easily as breathing and the story takes on a life of its own.

I've been writing seriously for several years, so I know that sort of thing isn't going to happen every time you pick up your pen or sit down at the computer. There will be times when you can't think of anything to write, when you have to struggle through, maybe even start to hate your story. But when those times do come, they're magical, and it makes all the struggling worth it.

Feeling much more confident about winning NaNoWriMo after that last writing session,
~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment