Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Reading Room (4)


The Reading Room, as the title implies, is a weekly update on what books I'm currently reading or planning to read. This blog feature was inspired by Ren's On Myshelf at the awesome blog, All by Myshelf.

The most exciting update for this week is that I am now the proud owner of my very own hardcover copy of You Have to Stop This by Pseudonymous Bosch, the fifth and final book in The Secret Series. I started reading it the second I got home from the bookstore and finished it within a few days. It was awesome, and the perfect ending to the series.

Since I was a little distracted by that and some other books, I'm still working on Beth Revis's Across the Universe. I'm about halfway through, and while it isn't as spectacular as I was expecting, it is coming close to meeting my expectations, and I'm definitely glad I got it from the library. I'm also reading The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan, and I haven't been as happy with that one. Heroes of Olympus isn't nearly as good as Percy Jackson and the Olympians as a series, and The Son of Neptune isn't as good as The Lost Hero, which I actually really liked. It's hard to read about Percy in another setting and really hard to read about him from third-person POV. It's the other characters and the humor that have convinced me to finish the book, but I highly doubt I'll be reading the rest of the series. I prefer to remember Percy and the others fondly as they were in The Last Olympian.

As for books I'm planning to read, today I made another trip to the public library, to return The Night Circus (which I loved, loved, loved, loved) and to check out Wonderstruck. It's a new book by Brian Elznick, author of The Invention of Hugo Cabret, and...well, okay. It's a 600-page picture book. But that's part of what made The Invention of Hugo Cabret so unique and amazing, and if Wonderstruck is even half as awesome, it'll be a pretty incredible book. I can't wait to start it.

Hopefully, this and one or two other books will be enough to keep me occupied at least until Christmas - which is one of the best book-receiving holidays of the year. :)

~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment