Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Reading Room (11)


The Reading Room is a weekly update on books I'm reading and planning to read. It was inspired by the feature On Myshelf at the blog All By Myshelf.

I finished Cleopatra's Moon over the weekend, and it was a pretty awesome book. You can check out my full review here, on my Shelfari profile. I haven't started The Iron King yet - I've been trying to get back into Dracula, which I sadly haven't finished yet. It's a really good book, but unfortunately, it never seems to come out on top when there are other, potentially more exciting books to be read. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it soon. 

There was no school on Friday, so I took advantage of the day with nothing to do to go down to the public library. Instead of just skimming the new displays as I normally do, I scoured the shelves for books I haven't read, and came home with three new additions to my to-read list. 

The first book is Eona, the sequel to Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman. Eon was recommended to me by a friend a year or so ago and I loved it. It was very unique, and dealt with some interesting concepts in addition to the main conflict. As soon as I saw Eona, I knew I had to check it out. Finding out that there was a sequel to Eon was incredibly frustrating to me, because I was dying to find out how the story ended. Plus, it's another book for me to add to my reading list for the 2012 YA Mythology Challenge I'm participating in.

After Eona, the next book I decided to get was A Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson Levine. I've known they have it at both the public library and the school library for awhile, but I hadn't read it yet, since I was unsure whether I had outgrown Gail Carson Levine's books. Then I realized I was being ridiculous. I doubt I'll ever outgrow her novels. I've read almost all of her books so far (including most of the Princess Tales books, which I really am way too old for), my copy of her nonfiction book Writing Magic is almost falling apart because I've turned to it so many times for writing advice, and I follow her blog religiously. Not reading A Tale of Two Castles would have been more than silly - it would have been almost disloyal. I'm sure I'll love A Tale of Two Castles as much as I've adored all her other books.

The final book I brought home with me was Eight Keys by Suzanne LaFleur. Even though it's not fantasy and probably is meant for a younger age group, it sounds exactly like the kind of book that I would like. It's hard to say exactly why. Maybe it's just the fact that I enjoyed Love, Aubrey so much and have such fond memories of it. Either way, I'm just as excited to start this book as I am all the others.

Now, if only we had another long weekend for me to read all these books...

~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment