Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo: Day 1

Anyone who's been following my blog knows that November 1st is one of the most exciting days of the year for me, because it begins a month of frantic novel-writing adventures that nothing else can compare to. If you haven't heard of National Novel Writing Month, AKA NaNoWriMo, you should check it out at www.nanowrimo.org and sign up for an account - it's not too late to join! 

I kicked of my 2012 NaNoWriMo today at midnight, and on all counts it's been a great success. I was much less stressed about my novel idea than last year - I had it picked out months ahead of time and had done some preliminary outlining to figure out the basics of my plot before I started writing. It's an idea that's been floating around in my head for a few years now, ever since my first NaNoWriMo back in 2009, and has finally solidified enough to write it. It involves ghosts, witches, an insane demon, and Victorian-era London, and I am beyond excited to see where the plot takes me. You can read my full synopsis at my user profile on the NaNoWriMo site: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/fantasywriter1

I managed to get about 1,700 words written between midnight and 1 AM, at which point my brain demanded sleep; I went through the rest of the day writing bits and pieces wherever I had time and then put in another long stint of writing this evening, managing to reach my Day-One goal of 5k. I've always set it as my goal for the first day because getting ahead early is one of the best strategies to use, but I've never achieved it, even though I've written 5k in a day before. Usually I make it to 3 or 4k, and I'm thrilled to have so much written already. I'm almost finished with the first chapter of my novel, and like where it's going so far. 

That about wraps up my Day One report. Best of luck to everyone participating in NaNoWriMo!

~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment