Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Reading Room (7)


The Reading Room is a weekly update on the books I'm reading and planning to read. It was inspired by Ren's On Myshelf at the blog All by Myshelf.

As you can see, I've finished Clockwork Prince - it was amazing. As I said in my review on Shelfari, it's unusual for me to find a book like this, where I absolutely love all the characters. I can't wait for the next book in the series to come out.

After finishing Clockwork Prince, I couldn't wait to start the next book on my reading list - The Warlock by Michael Scott, which I mentioned in my last post. Right now I'm on Chapter 18, and the series is definitely as awesome as I remembered. I've missed reading about these characters and all the myths that are incorporated into the books. (Okay...I'll be honest. Mostly, I've missed Perenelle and Machiavelli.) I can't believe it's the next to last book in the series - I'm excited, but also a little sad it's ending.

I've also downloaded some books for my nook, so I have something to read on it besides the User Guide. One is The Scorpio Races, by Maggie Stiefvater. Despite the fact that I try to avoid anything involving werewolves, I really loved Shiver. This new book looks really good - as soon as I read the description, I was intrigued. I can't wait to start it, and I'll definitely post a review (at least on Shelfari) when I'm done. I have high hopes for this one - with luck, I won't be disappointed.


The other book I downloaded came free on the nook: Dracula. Yes, the original vampire novel - but one I can stand, because this is how vampires are supposed to behave and act. I started reading it as soon as I downloaded it, but it took me awhile to get through all the introductions and notes at the beginning. (I've decided that's how you can tell how old a book is and whether it's a classic or not - how much you have to read before you get to the actual book.) I'm only on Chapter Two, but so far I like it. Not much has happened yet, but I really appreciate the way Bram Stoker uses foreshadowing. It's subtle, and if I didn't know Dracula was a vampire, I think it would be just enough to make me curious without giving everything away.

Still working my way through my pile of Christmas books,
~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment