Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Reading Room (8)



The Reading Room is a weekly update on books I'm reading and plan to read. It was inspired by Ren's On Myshelf at the awesome blog All By Myshelf.

This post is a day late this week, for which I sincerely apologize. Yesterday was crazy, and before I realized it, it was ten o'clock and I was going to sleep. Luckily, I do have quite a lot to post about to make up for the lateness of the post.

First of all, I'm still reading Dracula. Reading it on the nook has been kind of slow, but I don't think that's because of the eReader - in fact, I was reading another book today and found myself missing some of the features of my nook. I think it's the book itself - while it's good and I definitely enjoy it, I'm at a slower spot right now. There's not much to keep me up late reading.

Something that has kept me glued to the page since I started it is Lament, by Maggie Stiefvater - author of The Scorpio Races and Shiver.  One of my friends read it and said it was good, but I never got around to reading it; now that I've finally started, I can't believe that it took me so long to check it out from the library. I love it and I can't put it down. I only started it last night, and I'm already 115 pages into it - I stayed up much too late last night and read all through school today. I'm starting to wonder if anything Maggie Stiefvater writes can be disappointing. Lament is definitely enough to pull her up to favorite-author status.

The school library was closed all last week, so on the same trip to the public library when I picked up Lament, I also checked out Witch and Wizard, by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet. I downloaded a free sample onto my Nook, and liked it enough to check out the book from my library. Ironically, one of my best friends also started reading it about the same time - and she's already finished it and moved on to The Gift. A promising sign - I trust her judgement.

When the school library finally reopened, of course, I had to make a trip in first period. Because I can never have enough books. I checked out two more books that I've been planning to read for awhile - Incarceron by Catherine Fisher and Firebirds Rising, edited by Sharyn November. Firebirds Rising is the sequel to Firebirds, a collection of fantasy short stories that I absolutely loved. I can't wait to start reading it.

Finally, I still haven't gotten through all the books I got for Christmas. Next on the list is Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck, which my grandparents gave me when they visited over New Year's. I wasn't planning to read it before some of the other books I got, but we're studying Ancient India and China in history, and any opportunity I have to relate what I'm studying to what I'm reading, I take - it makes things ten times easier to remember.

That's the end of my reading list - it's crazy-long this week, which exactly how I like it. Now, I have to get back to reading Lament...


~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment