Thursday, June 21, 2012

Song Wars (4)


Song Wars is where I compare two songs with similar titles, meanings, or lyrics, different versions of the same song, or an original song and the covers that have been made. I'll discuss what I like and dislike about both songs, then decide which one, overall, I like better. 

This Week
"50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" by Paul Simon vs. "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" by Train


What They Have in Common: Very similar titles and meaning

Titles: The titles of these songs are so similar it's almost impossible to compare them; however, I have to say I like the title of "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" just a little bit more - it's a bit more catchy and memorable. 

Lyrics: I love the verses of the Paul Simon song. Something about the way they rhyme, the way they're sung, and the beat to them just makes them really amazing. I don't care for the chorus as much - it's tolerable, but the way he uses so many different names sort of annoys me and the lyrics aren't as well-written as in the verse.  I have a similar problem with the Train song - certain parts, especially in the chorus, are really awesome and I love them, and then there are other parts that I don't like or that leave me kind of confused, like, "Why would you put that there? What does that have to do with this song." While neither song has flawless lyrics, "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" wins this round for me because at least all the lyrics make sense, even if I don't like all of them. 

Music: Train wins this one partially by default - there's not a lot of noticeable music in "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover", while "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" is instantly recognizable. But I also like the music - I'm not madly in love with it, but it's catchy and unique. 

Singing: I honestly don't have a strong opinion in either direction for this category. Both songs are well sung, though neither jumps out at me as being outstanding. I do like the softer way Paul Simon sings the verses of "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" - like I said, something about the way it combines with the lyrics just makes it really awesome - so because of that, "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" wins this category. 

Meaning: This is another category where the songs are so similar, it's difficult to compare them. In fact, based on meaning alone, it's almost impossible, but I really love the tone and attitude of "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" - I'm not sure whether to describe it as sarcastic or something else, but whatever it is, I love it. It definitely has more bounce and energy than "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover", which is why it wins this category. 

So "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" wins for me. Which song do you like better?

~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment