Friday, July 27, 2012

Tuned In To (6)


Tuned In To is a weekly feature discussing albums I've been listening to, songs that have been stuck in my head, or artists that I've discovered, and is posted on Fridays.

This week has been a pretty great week for music. To start off, I have another song that fits perfectly with a book I read recently. "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman was on the radio the other day when I was sitting on my grandma's porch; there were some other people there and I was talking, so I didn't really pay attention until about halfway through, when the lyrics caught my attention, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd heard the song before. I looked it up on Youtube that same day and have been listening to it ever since. I had heard it before, but I'd never realized what an awesome song it was.

The second or third time I listened to it, the same spot in the lyrics caught my attention again. This time, I realized how incredibly perfect this song was for the book I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak. I mean - wow. The lyrics, the situation, the emotion in the song mirrors that in the book. Both are very moving, and when I listen to the song while thinking of the book, I'm just blown away.




A lot of other awesome songs have come my way, too. I'll start with "One More Night" by Maroon 5. I caught the end of it on the radio on Wednesday, and it was extremely catchy - what I had heard of it stuck in my head for the rest of the day. When I looked it up, I found that not only did it have a catchy beat, it had awesome lyrics. I've always loved Maroon 5, and I can't stop listening to this song.



Then there's Passion Pit. I just came across their new album Gossamer (released on July 23rd) and...yeah, I'm already pretty obsessed. It's amazing. You can listen to the whole thing for free here. While the whole album is awesome, "Take a Walk" is definitely the best song. The meaning! The lyrics! The music and the beat! Somebody help me. I am addicted to this song and this album. A review of the album is definitely coming soon.




That's it for new music, although I've also been rocking out to the songs we're performing for Marching Band this year. I love our band teacher - he puts together a show made up of "Moves Like Jagger", "We Found Love", "On The Floor" and "Give Me Everything (Tonight)." When my friend Brianna - one of the drum majors this year - told me those were our songs, I literally jumped up in down in excitement. (And I was going running with her at the time, so it was pretty hilarious.) Not many people know this, but "Give Me Everything (Tonight)" is my jam. You should see me at school dances when it plays...actually, maybe it's better that you don't. I absolutely cannot wait for band camp.

Hoping this abundance in awesome music continues,
~blackandwhitedreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment